Playfire is the social network for gamers. Get a gaming profile, track your stats, and meet people to play with!

Feature Discussion: Game Pages

Feedback - Started 1 year ago by Wayward85 - 254 posts - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 pages

Profile image
Wayward85 posted 1 year ago

When we asked which parts of the site needed the most attention on our survey, Game Pages were second only to Automatic Tracking. Profiles were a close third.

Right now, a Game Page is really a bit of a non-feature. You can access them via the games list, but the only thing on them is a list of achievements, a box art and a link to buzz feeds about this game.

We want to make them into something much more, but it’s vital for us that Game Pages are not a “Wikipedia” entry - we want to make them as community / Playfire specific as we possibly can.

Obviously, a lot of the things we can put on these pages like blogs and reviews are features in themselves, but we can design and integrate the basic page and then add to it as more features are (re)created. 

Some things to think about:

How should you access them?

What would you like to see on them? What would make you visit a game page rather than just the Buzz?

Would you like Playfire to pull any content, like Metacritic and news links from IGN etc.?

Would you like to be able to ‘mark’ certain games as more important than others?

Profile image
DJJoeJoe posted 1 year ago

Pulling the Metacritic data is probably a safe bet, and useful thing. I'm someone who thinks sites like playfire that pull 'news' from games is redundant and actually kinda annoying. I know how to use the internet to keep on top of game news, I'm a gamer afterall and having yet another venue that random game news is coming at me from just serves to clog up the site with stuff I don't want to see. That said, maybe an opt-in feature for games specific news if you 'follow' games or have games on your wishlist, for that news to be piped into one location... maybe. Honestly though that's a stretch for me, and I most likely wouldn't even use that.

Localizing the users data that is specific to a game on that game's page makes sense, and is what other sites are doing. Things like that game's achievements should be listed in a way that the user can see the ones he has unlocked, against possibly a site-wide display of other users unlock rates for those achievements or other stats.

Profile image
Greeneye posted 1 year ago

I would like to see Metacritic scores, release date (both US and EU) and maybe a rating system where you can personally score a game 1-5 stars (or something of that nature) depending on how much you enjoy it.

I don't think many people (me included) would want news articles and such. It's just too much and most gamers are already getting their news from Gamespot, IGN etc.

It would also be nice to mark games you love as favorites with an icon of sorts.

Profile image
dreaminstereo posted 1 year ago

The old pages had the ability to mark as either a favourite or as a game that you owned, rather than had just played. I think that I'd like to see a return of those features. Although, maybe you should only be given the option of making twenty games part of your "favourites" list. 

Again, the old pages gave you the ability to rate a game out of 5 and post a short review. That would be a really good feature to have alongside a Metacritic score, so you'd have the Playfire average next to it and some short (250 character max, maybe?) comments about the game.

Profile image
random_turnip posted 1 year ago

I'll just go ahead and link you to the thread i made about this a little while ago.

Summed up though, here's what i'd like to see (all fairly obvious i think);

- Articles (reviews, tips tricks and advice, previws, etc...)
- Screenshots
- Scores (out of 10 or whatever)
- Blogs/stories/journals (maybe not something many people will be bothered about and would only be used for a few types of games, but still an idea)
- Links to Youtube videos

Some of the stuff on that thread was just me rambling, lol, they're the main points.

Profile image
KiddZilla posted 1 year ago

Definitely in favor of the whole "favorite games" , and being able to rate and comment on different games would be pretty neat too. This might be a little off topic, but how about a Fan Art section in the forums? 

Profile image
Tomba25 posted 1 year ago

The old PF Game Page was a perfect example. I think the new devs should make that as a reference.

Profile image
stro87 posted 1 year ago

- User rating system
- Quick synopsis
- Related/Similar games
- Comment section
- Links to buzz feeds

couple ideas

I also like random_turnips idea for youtube videos 

Profile image
dreaminstereo posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by KiddZilla Jump to post

Definitely in favor of the whole "favorite games" , and being able to rate and comment on different games would be pretty neat too. This might be a little off topic, but how about a Fan Art section in the forums? 

We have a user generated content thread where you're more than welcome to post any fan art!

https://forums.playfire.com/general-discussion/thread/97399

Profile image
Wayward85 posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by random_turnip Jump to post

I'll just go ahead and link you to the thread i made about this a little while ago.

Summed up though, here's what i'd like to see (all fairly obvious i think);

- Articles (reviews, tips tricks and advice, previws, etc...)
- Screenshots
- Scores (out of 10 or whatever)
- Blogs/stories/journals (maybe not something many people will be bothered about and would only be used for a few types of games, but still an idea)
- Links to Youtube videos

Some of the stuff on that thread was just me rambling, lol, they're the main points.

Sorry I missed your earlier thread! Feel free to add any of that back into here.

Profile image
KiddZilla posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by dreaminstereo Jump to post

We have a user generated content thread where you're more than welcome to post any fan art!

woops! hahah did not see that xD sorry about that !

Profile image
Ghostshot08 posted 1 year ago

I know you want to make it community specific, but remember that most people are idiots and as as a community grows larger, it more closely resembles the total population. Therefore, user ratings tend to be worthless.

Profile image
ofx360 posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by Ghostshot08 Jump to post

I know you want to make it community specific, but remember that most people are idiots and as as a community grows larger, it more closely resembles the total population. Therefore, user ratings tend to be worthless.

Most often, you adjust you perception of the ratings for that.

Like MAL for instance, a 7.2 is usually a good indication that the show is going to be pretty bad, even thought the system uses a 1-10 scale. This starts the become second hand knowledge just by visiting the site a few times.

----

I would like game pages to be accessed from tab up top like, "Games" or something generic and to the point like that. The first page could be a hub, showing all types of information about community info on various games (this week's releases, most played this week, what your friends are playing etc). It should allow you to also search through the catolog of games and find the game you want to know more about. clicking on the game can bring

Game's pages should be an aggregate everything about the game, that includes Buzzes, Blogs, Threads, Reviews, etc that people made about the game across the site. Also, the game's pages should allow you to create Buzzes, Blogs, threads, etc right from the page - making the game page feel like more of a fan club. It could also be interactive by having graphs of the hours spent in the game this week, amount of trophies earn, number of people that own the game of PF over time, what age group owns this type of game, or other info if you can think of.

Pulling news from sites like IGN would be cool, i definitely wouldn't mind that. That could make the game page more than just a fan page, and become a hub for a game's news. I don't know if you can just pull video and pictures down from youtube and google about a game, so this might get a little be more wiki like, but having people able to post videos and picture from Youtube  and google would be great. I'm sure your guys are look to have easy moderation on this, but i think something like that would be a great feature for the pages.

Umm...marking games as favorites? Yeah, for sure. I'd be a good idea to be able to do that from you profile as well.

And as for Ratings - 1-10 scales, ALWAYS. None of that 3,4,5 stars BS. Keep it universal!

Thats all i gots to say about that. Hope that helps.

Profile image
pecan50 posted 1 year ago

I think having community reviews related to the game pages would be helpful and a nice way to integrate the site with our content.

Profile image
jbaker88 posted 1 year ago

The ability to rate the game out of 5 and review it in our own profile would be a good thing, as well as maybe upload picture or videos to that game in our own profiles too.

The actual page for that game could show the latest videos and pictures uploaded for that game, or maybe you could allow users to rate up / down videos and images and show the top 5 most popular of each on the game page, as well as adding a see all button that allows you to look through everyones videos and pictures at once. I guess reviews could have that added functionality as well.

Game pages could also show the metacritic score, maybe the post popular and most rare achievement too? The average star rating users have given it on Playfire?

In terms of accessability, obviously it's best to try and not hide each thing behind more than a couple of button clicks otherwise it just gets lost and no one uses it.

Profile image
ADay posted 1 year ago

I would like to see Game Pages act like a Hub for everything that's related to the game, on Playfire. Every thing should be taggable to a game(Threads, Buzz posts and eventually Blog posts). Everything that's been properly tagged will show up on the Game Page for that game. In order for this to work even better, there should be a General Buzz topic. I don't want to go to the Skyrim Page and see 20 posts about the Ouya. 

As mentioned above, the metacritic inegration would be cool, but maybe a Playfire rating system as well? Even just a simple 5-star system would be fine. That way we can get a community rating using the average of all scores. This could even be alongside a metacritic overall score.

The ability to submit screenshots and videos would be cool. I do mean submissions though. I don't think it's a safe idea to make the Game Pages 100% open to users.

Then finally, we can take submissions for short descriptions for the game that will go at the top.

The submission ideas are probably the hardest to deal with. We have a lot of mods currently, but I can see a huge flood of content coming if/when these first go public. Perhaps a joint effort between the boxart admins and the community moderators? 

EDIT: I forgot! Game pages should be accessable everytime you click on the game's boxart. I don't epect to go to a user profile or my trophy list when I click on the game! D:

Profile image
MassLegion808 posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by dreaminstereo Jump to post

I think that should be pinned somewhere. The search sometimes makes it really hard to find when it doesn't get new posts.

Profile image
ofx360 posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by ADay Jump to post

EDIT: I forgot! Game pages should be accessable everytime you click on the game's boxart. I don't epect to go to a user profile or my trophy list when I click on the game! D:

This.

And on the old PF, was it submission based, or was it more of a wiki style?

I think it should be more wiki styled. Allow anyone to put up pics and videos, but have a report system in place just incase inappropriate things are posted.

Profile image
ADay posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by ofx360 Jump to post

This.

I think it should be more wiki styled. Allow anyone to put up pics and videos, but have a report system in place just incase inappropriate things are posted.

It was more wiki style. Both present the issue of being heavily moderated in one way or another though. If it's wiki-based, there needs to be a report feature and a "new content added" area for mods and boxart admins to check into to make sure everything is appropriate. 

Also, if all tagged content goes into the Game Page(just going off of my other post), it would be great to have a filter that only shows updates from your friends.

Profile image
Arkthur posted 1 year ago
Quote:

This.

The mods really need to think this through, what gives them more work? re-edit sabotaged pages or read and accept/discard submissions?

Profile image
ofx360 posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Also, if all tagged content goes into the Game Page(just going off of my other post), it would be great to have a filter that only shows updates from your friends.

That could be a good idea for thecurrently useless "friends" link at the top there.

Quote:

It was more wiki style. Both present the issue of being heavily moderated in one way or another though. If it's wiki-based, there needs to be a report feature and a "new content added" area for mods and boxart admins to check into to make sure everything is appropriate. 

Well, i think we already have a box art guy, right?

But at the same time, you may need to start modding things like reviews, blogs, etc if they're innappropriate. So i imagine, if you guys had to look at every single submission that happens on the site, that'd be beyond overwhelming....Maybe I shouldn't talk about logistics for you guys, since i really don't know what you guys go through :P

Profile image
ADay posted 1 year ago
Quote:

That could be a good idea for thecurrently useless "friends" link at the top there.

Well, i think we already have a box art guy, right?

But at the same time, you may need to start modding things like reviews, blogs, etc if they're innappropriate. So i imagine, if you guys had to look at every single submission that happens on the site, that'd be beyond overwhelming....Maybe I shouldn't talk about logistics for you guys, since i really don't know what you guys go through :P

We have a small team of people who do boxart and game submissions. I'm sure we could bring a few more people onto that team and then make Game Pages and joint effort between them and the community mods.

Profile image
SweetIvy posted 1 year ago

One thing a few sites did you need enough rep to post reviews. But in this case maybe need to be a month on the site and certain amount of post in order to post. Might avoid a spam attack if those rules were in place.

Profile image
FemmeFox posted 1 year ago
Quote:

OMGosh this! I would also like a link for submitting boxart to be on these pages too. As a boxart admin I dont feel these are easy enough to get to. An example of the problem is newly accepted games. You cannot add a boxart until a Buzz has been made for it. So moving the link to the actual game page would make it easier for people to correct or update boxart. 

EDIT:

Quote:

We have a small team of people who do boxart and game submissions. I'm sure we could bring a few more people onto that team and then make Game Pages and joint effort between them and the community mods.

I would be more than happy to have more involvement in updated features. 

Profile image
Infamous461 posted 1 year ago

Quote:

How should you access them?

I would like it to have its own bookmark at the top of the page. That way it's easy to find and it'll probably help cut down on the aimless forum discussions about a single game if they can find their said game before deciding to take it to the forums.

Quote:

What would you like to see on them? What would make you visit a game page rather than just the Buzz?

I would love to see groups that I could join for that game or events for that game that I can join (Like gamenights). I also think it would be a cool feature if there was a way this site can track your stats and post them on some a leaderboard so you can compare your scores with other users. Finally, just videos and screenshots that users can post to show their gameplay experience. 

Quote:

Would you like Playfire to pull any content, like Metacritic and news links from IGN etc.?

That'll be good. It'll make it easier to find news related to a specific game or upcoming game. That may also help spark more game related topics and discussion if we had a news feed giving us the latest updates on current games.

You must login to post.

back to top Back to the top