Playfire is the social network for gamers. Get a gaming profile, track your stats, and meet people to play with!

The AI That Should Have Been - Oblivion

General Discussion - Started 2 years ago by Zcrubby1 - 8 posts

Profile image
Zcrubby1 posted 2 years ago

The Radiant AI in Oblivion was supposed to bring towns alive, give each NPC a purpose, conditions to be met and other dynamic things. Unfortunately, it resulted in random riots and deserted towns because the villagers all killed themselves, so they scrapped most of the AI from it.

The following are humorous examples of unexpected behavior discovered during early testing:

Example 1: One character was given a rake and the goal "rake leaves"; another was given a broom and the goal "sweep paths," and this worked smoothly. Then they swapped the items, so that the raker was given a broom and the sweeper was given the rake. In the end, one of them killed the other so he could get the proper item.

Example 2: Another test had an on-duty NPC guard become hungry. The guard went into the forest to hunt for food. The other guards also left to arrest the truant guard, leaving the town unprotected. The villager NPCs then looted all of the shops, due to the lack of law enforcement.

Example 3: In another test a minotaur was given a task of protecting a unicorn (there is only one unicorn in the game). However, the minotaur repeatedly tried to kill the unicorn because he was set to be an aggresive creature.

Example 4: In one Dark Brotherhood quest, the player can meet up with a shady merchant who sells skooma. During testing, the NPC would be dead when the player got to him. The reason was that NPCs from the local skooma den were trying to get their fix, didn't have any skooma, and were killing the merchant to get it.

Example 5: While testing to confirm that the physics models for a magical item known as the "Skull of Corruption," which creates an evil copy of the character/monster it is used on, were working properly, a tester dropped the item on the ground. An NPC immediately picked it up and used it on the player character, creating a copy of him that proceeded to kill every NPC in sight.

~

Makes me think the NPCs were actually sentient and got lobotomized.

Profile image
Nickademus posted 2 years ago

I remember this and it sucks they could not get it to work Cry

Profile image
gamerps360 posted 2 years ago

Lol!  @ the various scenerios.....

Prob. Bethesda should take care of the AI Behaviour System in Skyrim.....

Profile image
gamerps360 posted 2 years ago
Quote:

Originally posted by Nickademus Jump to post

I remember this and it sucks they could not get it to work Cry

But I heard there was some patch released some long time ago which fixes some of these issues....

Profile image
Quote:

Originally posted by gamerps360 Jump to post

But I heard there was some patch released some long time ago which fixes some of these issues....

I hope so but I do remeber reading about this in the PC mags at the time and laughing my A$$ off, I hope they don't nueter the AI too much. How awsome would it have been to go into a town with like one old man standing at the gate talking about how the town went mad and killed everyone off Tongue out

Profile image
ADay posted 2 years ago

They should have left that in the game xD

Profile image
Quote:

Originally posted by ADay Jump to post

They should have left that in the game xD

Would have been awesome

Profile image
SolidRevolver posted 2 years ago

Should have left it in as an option.  Like the Wild Wasteland trait.

You must login to post.

back to top Back to the top