Playfire is the social network for gamers. Get a gaming profile, track your stats, and meet people to play with!

Official Green Man Gaming Community FAQ

General Discussion - Started 1 month ago by SunRay - 27 posts - 1 2 pages

Profile image
SunRay posted 1 month ago

Thanks for sharing your questions! Here are the answers from the Green Man Gaming team.

OK, so here are a number of the general questions that we've had sent through over the last week:

Profile image

1. "What made you decide to scrap Playfire and create the new site? Did you expect the backlash that happened?"

The current Playfire site just isn’t able to grow in the way that we want it to. When we acquired Playfire in 2012, we were faced with a lot of broken legacy code and complex issues, and have spent more time patching problems when we would rather have been developing new features. 

Since we moved the Green Man Gaming store onto a new and more powerful platform, we decided to integrate the community into it. This allows our engineering team to develop the community platform more easily into what we’ve always envisioned for Playfire, delivering a better experience for gamers.

Profile image

2. "Is the Green Man Gaming Community going to be similar to Playfire in anyway? We love Playfire very much and we would love to preserve what makes Playfire great but with major improvements."

At the core of the community, all the major features from Playfire will remain. We have taken the best aspects of Playfire and integrated as much of the Playfire back end into the Green Man Gaming community as we can, and therefore keeping the site as similar to Playfire as possible while enabling it to evolve to offer the features that the community have always wanted.

Your profile page and game pages will see a total overhaul, offering a far better range of gaming stats so that you can compare your achievements against the rest of the community.

There will be a buzz feed, just like on Playfire, where you can chat about the latest games, as well as non-gaming related content. It’s easier to filter as well, so you’ll be able to see more of the posts you want.

The new community will also integrate Twitch – you will be able to see the top five streamers play games live on each game page, including expandable videos and chat functionality.

The new community platform will also be better integrated with the Green Man Gaming site, with better access to the blog and our newsroom, which features the latest gaming news and insights.

Profile image

3. "Are we, the members of Playfire, important to Green Man Gaming?"

Playfire is very important to Green Man Gaming because we feel that it is the voice of the video game world – an amazing collection of gamers from across the globe who are passionate, friendly and knowledgeable.

We wanted to create a single online destination for gamers like those on Playfire to connect with friends, track their gameplay, shop and get the latest industry insights and news. Unfortunately, the limitations of the current Playfire platform meant that we couldn’t develop and grow the site as we wanted, hence why we are merging the Playfire community with Green Man Gaming. By integrating both platforms, our engineering team will be able to deliver exciting new features as time goes on, making sure that the site can adapt to your needs and feedback.

Profile image

4. "When are you planning on shutting Playfire down? Although I will probably move on to the Green Man Gaming community, I’d like to know when this site will close."

Playfire will eventually close, but not until all the new features that we have planned are added to the new community and we have transferred as much information as possible, including your Playfire avatar, bio and number of posts.

We will keep you updated with our progress, and will give you plenty of notice before Playfire is set to close.

Profile image

5. "What will be available on the new community when it launches to everyone?"

The new community platform includes a master buzz feed, where users can view posts about games, comments from the blog and general discussion. There will be different channels available for users to follow.

Game pages will feature a wealth of stats, including the number of people that own a game, reviews, average play time and average completion rate. 

User profiles will include a bio, personal game stats, their reviews and their latest gaming activity. Your game library will give you access to all the games that you’ve played on Steam and detail your gameplay progress. You will be able to categorise them by alphabetical order or by least / most played games.

Game pages will feature Twitch integration, where you will be able to see the top five streamers play games live on each game page, including expandable videos and chat functionality.

The newsroom and the blog will offer the latest insights and information about the gaming industry.

You’ll also be able to share your favourite content and comments on your Twitter and Facebook, and message your community friends via PMs.

Profile image

6. "What other features do you have planned for the community and when will they be added?"

After launch, we will be adding various features to the community including:

· Friends list

· Want list in Community

· On-site notifications (notifications are currently available via email)

· Console gameplay data

· Profile badges

· Enhancements to the master buzz feed to make it more forum-like, including the ability for mods to sticky threads, a post count and so on

· More game data and insights

Profile image
dragon_blade posted 1 month ago
Quote:

Originally posted by SunRay Jump to post

1. "What made you decide to scrap Playfire and create the new site? Did you expect the backlash that happened?"

The current Playfire site just isn’t able to grow in the way that we want it to. When we acquired Playfire in 2012, we were faced with a lot of broken legacy code and complex issues, and have spent more time patching problems when we would rather have been developing new features. 

Since we moved the Green Man Gaming store onto a new and more powerful platform, we decided to integrate the community into it. This allows our engineering team to develop the community platform more easily into what we’ve always envisioned for Playfire, delivering a better experience for gamers.

I will aceept that awnser  Smile

Profile image

7. "Are there any plans to bring profile comments back on the new Green Man Gaming Community?"

We’re investigating this feature with our tech team at the moment and will keep you updated when we get things confirmed.

Profile image

8. "Will profile themes be available on the new community?"

Unfortunately no but, instead we’re planning to introduce background pictures in the profile – stay tuned!

Profile image

9. "Is the new community easier to use than Playfire? Will you add features that we’ve suggested?"

We’ve tried to make the new community platform as easy to use as possible, and have added some great new features to enhance your gaming experience and make it more immersive than ever before. It’s mobile and tablet friendly, so you can access it on the go easily.

We will also be able to build upon the community with your feedback – by integrating the Playfire community with the Green Man Gaming site, we can ensure that we can keep improving it for the future.

Profile image

10. "What platforms can I track on the new community? When will PSN and Xbox be added?"

On launch, you will be able to track your Steam games, including achievements, play time and the types of games played. We are working on adding console stats as soon as possible and will keep you up to date on our progress.

Profile image

11. Do I need to make a new account to use the community?

You don’t need to make a new account to use the Green Man Gaming Community – you’ll be able to log in with your Playfire account. This way, your profile bio, avatar and Steam tracking will be transferred over for you.  However, any new Playfire account sign ups or changes made to the profile after December 2016 will not be transferred to the new Community platform.

Profile image

12. "What about usernames? If this site will be merging, will I be able to change my username there?"

You will not be able to change your username when the new community launches, as your Playfire details will be transferred to the new platform.

Profile image

13. "I want to give the new community a try before it launches, so is it too late to join the closed beta?"

We have a limited number of spaces available for those who want to try the closed beta before the Green Man Gaming Community officially launches! If you’d like to get involved, just PM a member of staff or one of the moderators with the email address you use to log in to Playfire and we’ll add you to the beta.

Profile image

14. "What will happen to the Playfire mods when the new community launches?"

Several members of the current moderator team will be joining us on the new community, including ADay, RhiwiauRambo, sarroush, Jahman, Lorondos and random_turnip. They will also be on hand to help anyone on Playfire until the full transition is made.

Profile image

15. "I want to join the mod team – how do I become a moderator?"

In the run up to the new community launch, we will be holding an open call for moderators – so if you’d like to become a moderator on the new community, you’ll have the opportunity to apply soon.

Once the community has launched, get in touch with our community manager and explain why you think you’re up to the task!

Profile image
Quote:

Originally posted by dragon_blade Jump to post

I will aceept that awnser  Smile

Glad to hear it Smile

Profile image
dreaminstereo posted 1 month ago
Quote:

Unfortunately no but, instead we’re planning to introduce background pictures in the profile – stay tuned!

Good to know! I've always liked being able to give my profile a more personal feel on Playfire so glad to see that background pictures are in the plan.

Profile image
Jahman posted 1 month ago
Quote:

· Enhancements to the master buzz feed to make it more forum-like, including the ability for mods to sticky threads, a post count and so on

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Profile image
ADay posted 1 month ago
Quote:

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Ditto. This is what really excites me, along with having a more robust platform to work on. :)

Profile image
shatulance posted 1 month ago

Will we have enough notice to have our playfire accounts deactivated before the switch over? I don't want any part of the gmg site..

Profile image
Awsomonium posted 1 month ago
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by dreaminstereo Jump to post

Good to know! I've always liked being able to give my profile a more personal feel on Playfire so glad to see that background pictures are in the plan.

Yeah, I'm a fan of that one myself. It'd feel wierd without them I think, being used to it on Playfire.

Profile image
Awsomonium posted 1 month ago
Quote:

Originally posted by shatulance Jump to post

Will we have enough notice to have our playfire accounts deactivated before the switch over? I don't want any part of the gmg site..

Can't say for sure, but I imagine they'll give us a least a weeks notice. Probably more. Then there would be a larger ballpark time even before that.

Profile image
ADay posted 1 month ago
Quote:

Originally posted by shatulance Jump to post

Yes, the GMG staff will be notifying the community with ample time prior to Playfire closing. The staff will keep everyone posted up until the announced date, so keep an eye out.

You must login to post.

back to top Back to the top