Playfire is the social network for gamers. Get a gaming profile, track your stats, and meet people to play with!

The Death of Couch Co-Op?

General Discussion - Started 1 month ago by dreaminstereo - 10 posts

Profile image
dreaminstereo posted 1 month ago

So, the other night, I was playing Overwatch, and my boyfriend (who isn’t a massive gamer) came downstairs and watched for a bit. After a while, he asked if there was any way for us to play it split-screen. He wanted to give it a try, because it reminded him of Timesplitters, but didn’t necessarily want to go it alone. And of course, there’s no split-screen, so we kind of gave up on that idea.

(But wasn't Timesplitters the best though?)

It got me thinking about lots of other games – and the truth is, there are very few games on my PS4 that offer local co-op (aside from the Lego games), despite there being plenty of games out there that offer online multiplayer.

Nintendo are obviously pretty good for it most of the time, and we do have a Wii U and will probably get a Switch at some point. But sometimes, you don’t fancy playing something cutesy – you want to shoot something in the face!

Does anyone have any recommendations for current-gen games that offer local co-op? Or do you have any great co-op stories to share from way back when?

Profile image
Tidus007 posted 1 month ago

Borderlands Handsome Collection, Diablo III are usually the games I play couch Co-op. Both work pretty well.

A game called Overcooked on PS4 is also very good for couch co-op.

Profile image

That's two people who have recommended Overcooked now, I think I'll have to pick that up. 

See, I tried Diablo III, and Borderlands 2 on PS3, with my boyfriend and he's not sold on them. I think Diablo in particular is a bit too 'hardcore' for him. I should try again though. I've picked up a few games that aren't necessarily multiplayer but ones we could play together more recently, like The Witness and No Man's Sky (we like giving all the creatures silly names), but I find that I usually end up taking the controller on those occasions so I'm trying to find stuff that's a bit more interactive.

Profile image
rbl007 posted 1 month ago

i have Worms WMD is a good couch multiplayer and only need one cotroller as well :P

but yeah i get what your saying a lot of games do the whole online but disregard having an offline multiplayer

Profile image
ADay posted 1 month ago

Yeah, I can't think of any newer, or upcoming action games that offer a couch co-op experience. There are some indie games, and of course I always swear by my Nintendo split screen experiences, as you mentioned. When my friends and I want to play something like a shooter, I usually have to break out older titles, like the original Halo games. 

I know that you said that your boyfriend doesn't like Diablo, but I do really like playing similar dungeon crawlers with my friends too. :P

Profile image
Quote:

Originally posted by rbl007 Jump to post

i have Worms WMD is a good couch multiplayer and only need one cotroller as well :P

but yeah i get what your saying a lot of games do the whole online but disregard having an offline multiplayer

Hey, I totally forgot about Worms! I used to love that back in the day, good shout. 

Quote:

Originally posted by ADay Jump to post

I know that you said that your boyfriend doesn't like Diablo, but I do really like playing similar dungeon crawlers with my friends too. :P

I think the problem with Diablo is that it moves too fast? Even though I'm happy to slow down to help out, I think he watches me play stuff on my own, obviously moving at a pretty fast pace, and gets put off. I dunno, maybe I need to stop playing as a monk :P

Profile image
YellowJello posted 1 month ago

Couch Co-op died last generation. These past two generations have been really dissappointing, though. :-/

Profile image
random_turnip posted 1 month ago

Nintendo still release some decent couch games, me and the girlfriend play Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 all the time still, so hopefully the Switch will have some too.  Also,you could just use some old consoles.

Profile image
moongripper posted 1 month ago

honestly i think nowadays you just have to sit down with 2 computers and just play an online game together :l i sorta miss playing with a friend on his console but i hate consoles so cheers ! :D

Profile image
redbrixeli posted 1 month ago

Ahh yes! I have two older brothers, and we've always loved 2-4 player co-op games. I can give a list of games not mentioned that we enjoyed.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1, and 2. (came to ps4 last year I believe)

Magicka 2

Gauntlet ps4

Little Big Planet 3

Battleborne

Don't starve together

Dynasty Warriors (series)

Earth Defense Force 4.1

Resident Evil 6/Revelations 2

Star Wars Battlfront 

Trine (series)

There are a few more, I'd suggest looking at co-optimus to find some couch co-op games.

You must login to post.

back to top Back to the top