Playfire is the social network for gamers. Get a gaming profile, track your stats, and meet people to play with!

Community News - February 2013

General Discussion - Started 1 year ago by ADay - 62 posts - 1 2 3 pages

Profile image
ADay posted 1 year ago

Hey there and welcome to the February edition of the Community News. You might have noticed that this post will be going live on the dev blog next week, marking this as the first community newsletter to make it's way officially outside of the forum. Let's pretend like the outside blogger account doesn't count. Wink

As you read through this, remember that this is a community based newsletter. Everything here is about you guys and gals. Feel free to leave suggestions and new ideas in the comments below.

Now let's get on to the actual Community News!

Every month members vote for their Member of the Month(MotM). Whether you vote for a good friend, a member you admire, or someone that you just think deserves the spotlight, you can vote for them as them. There are no prizes, other than the glory of having your name posted for everyone to see. Some might call it a stupid popularity contest, but those people would be wrong. It's not stupid, but it sure is a contest of popularity. Check the end of the MotM section for rules and information about voting.

This month's winner is well deserving. Not only has he dedicated a lot of his time to making Playfire a cleaner place, but he's also famous, or otherwise infamous, for contributing in his 'unique' ways. Especially in the Faces of Playfire thread.

The winner of the February Member of the Month is Grishrak!

As always, I had a moment to ask him a few questions:

How do you Feel about being Playfire's Member of the Month?

Quote:

Originally posted by grishrak

Really didn't expect it, I would like to think the members of Playfire for voting me as the member of the month and to apologize to them because I steeped down as a mod without really doing enough in my view as a way to help keep Playfire a clean place for them.

Why the avatar and will you change it anytime soon?

Quote:

It was just a picture a friend took at a maid cafe and I posted it in the Faces of Playfire thread and everyone liked the smile so I decided to use it for a while.

What is your favorite thread, or type of thread, to post in?

Quote:

By far the only one I know whats going on in...the Anime Thread.

What else do you like to do while spending time on Playfire?

Quote:

Playing video games mostly on PS3 but F2P games on the internet I find are always fun I can't beat Cat Mario to save my life!! I also watch and review anime on my website and annoy AKAnger.

Don't forget to vote!

If this is your first time voting for the Member of the Month, don't worry, it's really easy. The only rules are that the member can't be a mod, staff member, banned member, or yourself. Ok now think of three members you want to see as the next Member of the Month. Have them yet? Now head over to this profile and send a private message with your three votes and you're done! It's that simple. Remember that you can only vote for a person once, so you can't fill your three votes with the same person.

January has certainly been an interesting month. Even though it feels like we're all heading out of the New Year gate into 2013 at a crawling pace, there's something both refreshing and hectic in the air, both for the industry and Playfire. We'll get to the industry a bit later. For right now let's take a look at what you guys have been up to.

Birthdays

ToxicSunshine

WarriorofWarfare

Ereaser_NL

Zcrubby

TraitorToHeaven

If you want to see your birthday up here in the coming months, feel free to post your month of birth here.

January and the Months Ahead

There have been a lot of questions about new features coming to the site, the new tracking system and much much more. Keep in mind that there is still much to be relieved, but look no further than this month's Developer Blog for some of the answers you're looking for. The next two months will bring about some pretty big changes to the site, so sit tight and strap in...or just read the blog. It's up to you.

That being said there are a few things to watch out for. These include, but are not limited to, changes and updates to the current game pages, more information about the new tracking system/client(including info on Steam and PSN tracking), the next big features, like personal blogs and reviews for games in your collection and finally the collections themselves.

This month's Member of Interest really isn't so much a single member, but members. I just want to forward a big “Thank you” too all of the members properly using the different reporting systems on the site. By reporting what you feel breaks the site rules, you help us keep the community as clean as possible. Thank you everyone for making our jobs easier and more steamlined!

Say hello to the Community Content section of the Newsletter. Every month the exceptional user generated content of the site is gathered up and displayed here. If you have any content you want to submit, feel free to either post it in the User Generated Content thread or go ahead and send it to me in a private message.

Images of the Month

Quote:

Shanksaw

Quote:

WhorrorLoLz

Quote:

Darkpyrojohn44

Quote:

Infamous461

Quote:

LeMansRacer

Kazduin's Korner

Originally this piece was meant for the New Years edition of the Community news. Unfortunately it didn't quite make it in time and the sheer lack of room due to all of the year-end content. So here's your first 2013 post from our friend Kazduin.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kazduin

Hello everyone and happy new year! For the February Community News I will be doing a countdown of my top five favorite Playfire moments of 2012. I will include specific dates where ever possible! I'm doing this because I feel we should always look to the past before continuing on to the present. I hope you enjoy this! (YOU GUYS WILL BECAUSE I DEMAND YOU TO)

Number 5-The Community News Reboot (8/1/12)

I was very happy when it came to my attention that ADay would be starting the Community News again. I feel that the News in it's self is very important to the community because it brings us as a community closer together while also informing everyone of all the great happenings going on around Playfire. I appreciate all of the time and effort ADay and all of the other Community News contributors put in to this thing because I love sitting down at the first of the month to read through it! Thanks ADay!

Number 4-More Mods!(7/13/12)

Back in July I was very happy to see the mod team expand with some familiar faces on board. At the time we didn't have many mods, only about four or five. Now that we have so many mods I don't think we'll ever have to worry about osme sort of troll apocalypse or it raining clones of DazedTrance's candy vans! It was also a sign that things were changing for the better no less.

Number 3-Game Pages(10/8/12)

I love the new game pages, and when they were released it was a pleasant surprise. They look neat, sleek, and provide in-depth community contributed information on each and every game in the Playfire database. My favorite thing about them though is it being an outlet to contribute in some way to Playfire. It allows anyone to help improve Playfire from a technical aspect. A great edition to the line up of Playfire features in my opinion!

Number 2-Holiday Giveaway Frenzy(December)

December is the month of giving, and boy did a lot of people go out of their way to give! We had many kind members giving away Steam copies of games to make some lucky fire starter's day! Specifically, many familiar faces such as Spharai, AlwaysTheKop, DSP21, and quite a few more were all giving away gifts. It made me all warm and fuzzy inside! Thank you everyone.

Number1-GMG/Playfire Merge(7/9/12)

This is the big one, and that is why it is my number one. Before the merger Playfire didn't have much going on. I was very happy and excited to see a whole new line up of people joining the Playfire staff. Ever since then a lot has happened. We've gotten new mods, new game pages, new members. It makes the future of Playfire look very refreshing and I'm very confident that the Playfire staff and GMG can steer Playfire into becoming even better than it is now.

Well, that is all for now! I have some Metal Gear pictures to go drool over and The Walking Dead game to play through again!(MY FEELS) Have a good February Playfire!

January was all well and good when it came to game releases. It's been a pretty solid kickstart to the year, with major releases such as Ni no Kuni and DMC Devil May Cry, and of course the biggest release of the month: Earth Defense Force 2017. What can I say? EDF makes me delusional. Like the rest of the first two quarters of 2013, February has even more games and if you haven't already guessed, an even larger list of major titles. Don't forget to mark your calenders if you've got em.

As always, what's the point in getting a glimpse of the future if we don't look back over how everything turned out a month later? Let's take a look at some of the biggest releases of last month.

DmC: Devil May Cry or Devil may Cry: Devil May Cry, in case you were wondering, will forever be known for the uproar kicked up over this major reboot. Long time fans of the series were outraged about the redesign of their beloved main man, Dante. Fast-forward from the reveal date to present. Regardless of the games major differences, we've been treated with a game that both new and old fans really enjoy. There are still fans upset over the changes, but that's a conversation for another day. As it stands, this game is very different in a lot of ways, ranging from characters to gameplay. In the end it turned out to be a good game, with some new fans and a list of good reviews in its back pocket. If you're a hack n' slash kind of person, don't miss this game.

A fan of Tim Schafer and Double Fine? Do you know why you're a fan, or did your friends tell you to like him? If the latter is true, at least you now have a real reason. The Cave is a 2D platformer and adventure game wrapped up into one. Select three of seven characters at the mouth of the cave and begin your journey. The clever puzzle designs and signature Double Fine humor, this game is anything but dull. Pick this up and play co-op with a friend, or just go in alone if you're that kind of person. If you like quirky puzzlers and platformers, you should check this one out. It's out now on pretty much everything, so you really don't have an excuse.

Wrath of the White Witch marks the western, PS3 release in 2013, for the Ni no Kuni game(originally for the DS). While the game itself was designed by Level-5, the game was animated by Studio Ghibli, the makers behind works such as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. This team up makes for both a very charming and pretty looking game. While it's not without flaw, there's no doubting this game is worth picking up. If you're a fan of JRPGs and don't mind dipping your feet into a more action oriented combat system, give this game a go.

In Closing

As the first newsletter to formally make its way outside of the forum, I'm extending the request for any requests regarding future posts. If you have any suggestions or interesting ideas of how we can branch out to the corners of the community and make this as interesting as possible, post your comments below, or head over to the Community News thread in the forum and leave your suggestions there and as always, check back here on the blog for your monthly community updates!

Profile image
pecan50 posted 1 year ago

Niiiice.

Profile image
Kazduin posted 1 year ago

Good job on the news as usual ADay!Also

Quote:

Originally posted by ADay Jump to post

Dat Metal Gear

Profile image
DSP21 posted 1 year ago

Congrats Grish! :D

Also:

Quote:

Originally posted by Kazduin Jump to post

Good job on the news as usual ADay!Also

Dat Metal Gear

Profile image
grishrak posted 1 year ago

For those that wonder about the pictures it will only confuse your sexuality, put your sex drive in reverse, and have you watching futanari videos. You'll end up thinking men are women and women are men in cross dressing.

In short my work will be done.

Profile image
AKAnger posted 1 year ago

Annoying me is putting it light and that picture put my sex drive into overdrive right into a brick wall!

Profile image
Quote:

Originally posted by AKAnger Jump to post

Annoying me is putting it light and that picture put my sex drive into overdrive right into a brick wall!

I agree.

Profile image
M14ofJOHN posted 1 year ago

Dis is good shiz

Profile image
BlueShockwave posted 1 year ago

Congratulations, Grish!! Kiss

Profile image
Quote:

Originally posted by BlueShockwave Jump to post

Congratulations, Grish!! Kiss

Thanks this was my reaction

Profile image
dragon_blade posted 1 year ago

grishark mod no more  :'( 

Profile image
Quote:

Originally posted by dragon_blade Jump to post

grishark mod no more  :'( 

Cuase there was nothing to mod. I would see something a mod already did it or in buzz posts I wasn't sure if it was a warning for what rules. So I was always asking the other mods and they said "I warned them" so I just said you know what Im more help as a member then a mod.

Profile image
S7UBBS posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by grishrak Jump to post

For those that wonder about the pictures it will only confuse your sexuality, put your sex drive in reverse, and have you watching futanari videos. You'll end up thinking men are women and women are men in cross dressing.

In short my work will be done.

good thing i'm bi :3

Profile image
tomarwan posted 1 year ago

congratulations Grishrak.

Profile image
JeredInHiding posted 1 year ago

Nice.

Profile image
Laughingman84 posted 1 year ago

Grish definitely derserves it. At the very least for confusing my pants all the time.

Profile image
MassLegion808 posted 1 year ago

Congrats Grish!

Quote:

Birthdays

MassLegion808

*cough* My birthday was in January *cough*

Profile image
ljlrj posted 1 year ago

>:L wow they skip fire emblem for feb release, bias much

Profile image
Laughingman84 posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by ljlrj Jump to post

>:L wow they skip fire emblem for feb release, bias much

Lame games don't get the spotlight! >:-D

Profile image
ljlrj posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by Laughingman84 Jump to post

Lame games don't get the spotlight! >:-D

Profile image
Quote:

Originally posted by ljlrj Jump to post

I'll get the body bag and prepare the funeral arrangements.

Profile image
ADay posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by MassLegion808 Jump to post

Congrats Grish!
*cough* My birthday was in January *cough*

You know what. You just caught a big error. I posted all of the January Birthdays xD

Profile image
Quote:

You know what. You just caught a big error. I posted all of the January Birthdays xD

We should celebrate them again! :D

Profile image
OutrunCam posted 1 year ago
Quote:

Originally posted by S7UBBS Jump to post

good thing i'm bi :3

Profile image
Zcrubby1 posted 1 year ago

What a cop-out for Member of Interest.

You must login to post.

back to top Back to the top